Interesting facts about grapes
- Grape domestic cultivation started about 8.000 years ago in the Near East.
- Ancient Greeks believed that god Dionysus brought the first vine to them.
- The Greek god Dionysus was most of the time depicted holding a grape cluster or a glass of wine.
- Ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics also depict grapes.
- In many cases, grape producers understand that the plants may need irrigation by the orientation and curling of the top tendril.
- One of the traditional dishes of the Mediterranean cuisine (dolmades) is made of vine leaves.
- A fungal disease called noble rot may lead to the production of sweet wines with unique and desired organoleptic characteristics. In a few words, it does so by causing water to evaporate and thus increasing the sugar content in the remaining juice.
- Red grapes and wine have high antioxidant capacity.
- Vine products include table grapes, dehydrated grapes (currants), wine, grape juice, concentrated must, distillates, leaves, and vinegar. Different varieties are used for each of the above purposes.
Fast Facts on Grapes