- Kiwifruit is native to China and was initially called “Yang Tao.”
- It was renamed “kiwifruit” in New Zealand after the kiwi bird, which has a similar brown, fuzzy exterior.
- Kiwifruit was initially known as the “Chinese gooseberry” before its name change.
- Kiwifruit is an excellent source of dietary fiber, which aids in digestion, especially if you consume it with the peel.
- Kiwifruit contains more vitamin C per serving than most other fruits (almost three times the amount of Vitamin C in oranges). (Richardson, 2018)
- There are more than 50 species in the genus Actinidia, to which kiwifruit belongs. In addition to the traditional green (Actinidia deliciosa) and golden kiwifruit (A. chinensis), other varieties like red kiwifruit and baby kiwifruit Have been developed and grown in various regions.
- Kiwifruit continues to ripen after it’s picked, so it’s often sold when still somewhat firm.
- The high Vitamin C and low tannin content in kiwifruit are thought to explain why the cut fruit does not develop the typical browning reaction that occurs in most other fruits.
- Kiwifruit contains serotonin, which may help regulate sleep patterns and improve sleep quality.
- Kiwifruit is on the Environmental Working Group’s “Clean Fifteen” list, meaning it’s one of the least pesticide-contaminated fruits.
- China, Italy, and New Zealand are the top kiwifruit producers worldwide.
If you want to learn more about kiwi fruit, read the latest article, History, Nutritional Value and Health Benefits of Kiwi
Richardson DP, Ansell J, Drummond LN. The nutritional and health attributes of kiwifruit: a review. Eur J Nutr. 2018 Dec;57(8):2659-2676. doi: 10.1007/s00394-018-1627-z. Epub 2018 Feb 22. PMID: 29470689; PMCID: PMC6267416.
Cornell University. Hardy kiwi (Actinidia arguta, Actinidia kolomikta). Written by Gary Micsky and was retrieved from hwwff.cce.cornell.edu/content/crop-fact-sheets/hardy-kiwi.pdf
Ohio State University Extension, Kiwifruit and Hardy Kiwi (Kiwiberries), https://ohioline.osu.edu/factsheet/hyg-1426
WorldAtlas, Top Kiwi-Fruit Producing Countries In The World, https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/top-kiwi-fruit-producing-countries-in-the-world.html
EWG’s 2023 Shopper’s Guide to Pesticides in Produce™, https://www.ewg.org/foodnews/clean-fifteen.php